maandag 27 mei 2019

Fifth week

Hello lovely readers.

This week was very productive for me. In hindsight, it doesn't feel like I have done a whole lot, but I do think I have accomplished quite a bit. I had to do a lot of testing, debugging, more testing, rewriting parts of code, adding new parts, testing, and debugging. However, I managed to finish the implementation of edgeR into my application. Then I went through the same process again to calculate GC-content for the different samples and display it into a different datatable. The application now reads all fasq files in a user-specified directory, and then makes the calculations. I'm quite proud of it, especially so since the basic functions of the application are now complete. I can now move on to less important parts, such as improving on the download buttons, adding in a few new functions, etc.

I have also been applying for a couple different jobs this week. I have written several letters of motivation (which takes a long time), and will have to write a lot more still. However, I feel like I am at the start line of the rest of my life, and I want to not fumble when the start signal jumps from red to green.

In other news, I have found out there is an International Student Network here in Leiden, and every Wednesday they organize a party for the internationals. As a person who's not too keen on interacting with people I don't know, I was a bit apprehensive about going as I didn't know what to expect. I went anyway, and I had a very good time. The board members were very friendly and fun people, and I stayed a bit longer and drank a bit more than I had been planning to. I will go there again next week.

Also, I cannot believe I forgot to report on this last week, but my roommate has finally arrived. His name is Malik. He's a PhD student from Senegal, and we get along quite well. Because his first language is French, he's not used to speaking English, and it's a bit difficult to understand him from time to time. Currently there is only one thing I don't like about Malik, and that's that he doesn't clean up after himself when he's used the kitchen. I am starting to understand where my mom is coming from when she's nagging about having just cleaned and the floor already being filthy again. I do think she overreacts a bit, since I don't spill as much food and peels on the floor as Malik does.

Pretty sure my mom would get an aneurysm if she was in my position.

But yeah, I will have just vacuumed in the afternoon, and after Malik has prepared his food, it's just as dirty as it was before. I'm starting to think that cleaning the kitchen is a Sisyphean task.

I should probably tell Malik to be a bit more aware of the mess he makes.

Anyway, that's all for this week. I will see you all again in the next post!

Tibbert

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten