maandag 3 juni 2019

Sixth Week

Hello again, lovely readers.

Week 6 is now behind us, and the end of my internship is quickly coming into view.

Despite its short length, week 6 was quite productive. I have more or less finished developing my project. What I mean by that is that all the basic functions and the functions my supervisor wanted to see included are now working properly. Needless to say, I am quite pleased with myself. A lot of pressure has fallen of off my shoulders, and I can relax a little as I go about adding in some final touches. It is a double-edged sword, though, as I am a procrastinator by nature, and need a certain amount of time pressure to actually focus and be productive. I am looking for a package I could include into the application as well, but as you might expect that is tedious work I do not enjoy doing. As a result, my levels of productivity are about as high as they were at the start of the internship, when I had to slog through a bunch of written tutorials.

I much prefer coding, but right now I there's no more coding to be done until I find another package for DE analysis that's popular enough to be included into the application. That's a job for next week, however.

Because of the Ascension Day on Thursday, and the bridge day on Friday, week 6 only featured 3 work days. I got to enjoy a long weekend, which I made good use of. Kind of. I have mentioned before that every Wednesday is International Students Night at the Einstein pub. Having a free day to recover in case I'd need it, I was very hyped for this party. I could drink without having to worry about work the next day.

However, I'd been expecting a start to the party like last week. Which was a slow start, where I joined the members of the board who organize these parties for a drink at a table. You know, laid back, just sitting, chatting, and having a drink. My preferred way of getting warmed up for a party. Unfortunately, none of that happened this week. Instead, I found myself in a crowd where I didn't know anyone, didn't feel all that at ease, and I didn't know what to do.

I did find some members of the board after an hour or so, and it was fun for a while. Still, I wasn't having as good a time as last week, and I didn't stay very long.

Nevertheless, I wasted half of the next day by lying in bed for no reason other than laziness.

Saturday and Sunday a couple friends from Belgium came over to have check up on me. I bought some drinks, and we toured the city for a while. Then we found a spot at the park near the Museum Volkenkunde - the national museum of ethnology with a nice view of one of the canals, where we sat down to enjoy some drinks together in the sun.

In the evening we then were looking to enjoy the Leiden party scene, but one of my friends had already had too much to drink, so we took it easy instead. Still, it was a very fun couple of days.

I think that's it for this week.

I'll see you again in the next post,

Tibbert

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten